Monday, February 29, 2016

Alec McKay - Prosthetic Accessory: Polygo




Concept: I started out looking at some unique shapes for high-heeled shoes, and I found some that used polygons in interesting ways. This inspired me to make my boot, which later evolved into a prosthetic cover for just the shin, through experimenting with polygonal shapes and how they fit together. The shape is intended to be simple, fun, and suitable for casual or active wear. Polygo is a play on combining the words “polygon” and “go,” to signify both its angular form and its energetic feel.


Modeling Techniques: I began creating several iterations of the prosthetic by playing around with shapes in Rhino to see what things looked like.  Once I settled on a shape I liked, using heptagons going down the leg in a zig-zagging pattern, I used Sweep to fill in with surfaces the shape I had built with curves. Previous versions of my prosthetic gave me a lot of trouble when it came time to chamfer the edges, and there were a few lessons I learned from that about both patching holes that can be left from chamfering, and creating shapes that are easier to chamfer. For the inside of the prosthetic, I built a new shape using circular curves and Sweep rather than using Offset, since I wanted it to be hollow but the inside didn’t require the same design.



Materials: Polygo is made from rough, hard plastic so that it can be durable, light weight, and more scratch and smudge resistant than shinier finishes. To accent the dynamic shape of the prosthetic, I chose a bright yellow color with black lines that accent the edges. The top, bottom, and inside of the prosthetic is colored in the same black color as the accent edges, so that the yellow contrasts well against the rest of the prosthetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment