Monday, February 8, 2016

Ashley D Goodenough: USB

Concept: My USB was designed to be simple, useful, but cute. I thought it would be fun to give it a sort of personality, since USBs do so much to be useful to us. The design became anthropomorphized into the U.S.BRO. He’s got your back.
Modeling: Techniques used in Rhino for building the U.S.BRO started with using a bitmap background for referencing size, shape, and positioning to create my initial forms and curves. I also used arcs, curve extrusion, trim, offset, filletEdge, curve projection, sweep, loft, blendEdge, cap, boundingBox, etc. For combining particular parts into their respective sections for materials, I used split, explode, BooleanUnion (difference, 2Objects, etc.).
Materials: For the body of the USB and the logo details, I used hard rough plastic, since this is often what USB shells are made of for durability. For the inside metal details, I used zinc in two different shades to distinguish the strips from the rectangular shape.  For the metal insert, I used knurled titanium.

No comments:

Post a Comment