Monday, February 29, 2016

Travis Fowler: Castle

Concept:

The foundation for my design comes from the gears on a bicycle. Concentric gears with sharp edges and protruding spikes at regular intervals mimics that of a set of gears. The gears are linked together by a flat surface with a circle removed from the middle, resembling a chain. I didn't the entire piece to be free-floating so I added a triangular case around the main structure to soften the silhouette.

Technique:

This was my first exposure to rhino and I began the modeling tutorials with a bit of hesitancy but quickly started to see the possibilities that the Boolean functions can offer. Everything was very easy to control because I could break down the design into patterns of numbers. I stumbled across the fillet tool at the time and used that to soften the edges of the capsule.


Materials

My first inclination was to make the entire inner section out of metal, as gears and chains are so often seen, but Keyshot proved to provide some absolutely fantastic glass materials. I might have gotten a bit carried away by making everything different colors of glass but the consistency in material helps unify the piece and still gives predictably sharp-looking edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment