Sunday, February 28, 2016

Julio Romero: ArcLine







I have always liked the idea of binary contrast: two things can be completely different, yet can complement each other as well. ArcLine is my attempt at capturing this idea by creating a prosthetic cover with both curved objects and straight edges. I went with that name because arcs are smooth and soft, while lines are more hard and direct. I also wanted to create a cover that could be interchangeable to fit different needs, and used an open shape, instead of a "boot", so that the wearer could pick whatever kind of shoe they wanted.
I began modeling with the front curved part by projecting a curve onto my boot, and then using those curves to split it and then offset the surface outwards, ending by filleting the edges. I spent the majority of my time working on the back part. I first used the extract isocurve and duplicate edge tool to create curves from the inside and back of the front part of the cover. I then revolved a base line to get two more vertical sets of lines, and then connected then together using smaller lines. I used sweep2 to create and then join surfaces for the outer part of the back, and because of how irregular the shape was, I couldn't simply offset that surface. Instead, I created a small line at each corner using perpendicular to normal and then sweeped them to make surfaces that I could use to get curves from. I repeated this process multiple times and then used sweep2 to make the inner faces. Also due to the irregular faces, I couldn't chamfer the edges, so I extracted isocurves near each edge and then used sweep2 to recreate the entire back part, creating a line between the isocurves to make a "chamfer".
For the clamps I began with a rectangle and 3 circles: one main circle from an isocurve of the pipe, a smaller circle created using the diameter to match it to the edge of the main circle, and a mirrored smaller circle. I trimmed and joined the curves into the shape I wanted them and then extruded them vertically. I also created a small chamfered box for a pedestal and a foot from multiple curves using network surface curves.
In KeyShot I put a wood material on the pedestal and a brass material on the foot, as well as making the pipe and clamps aluminum and plastic. I added multiple copies of my cover, some of the slightly modified, to show the variety of colors and materials it could be made in. I tried to use complementary color schemes for each of them, such as white and black or blue and orange, as well as using different material combinations such as gold and platinum or a dull metal paint on the front piece with a hard black plastic piece on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment