Thursday, February 18, 2016

Ashley D Goodenough: Josephine Boots

Concept: The Josephine Boot began as an idea that would combine a classic southern, feminine boot with a below-knee prosthetic. I wanted some element of the boot design to be partially transparent, so that a simple, but tasteful wooden prosthetic could be seen on the inside from certain angles. I also liked some boot designs I saw online that were actually two separate pieces, with a lower boot and an upper sleeve that would be stretchy and easily slipped on after the boot.     
Modeling: The techniques used in Rhino for modeling the Josephine boot included many of the advanced curve interpolation and projection techniques covered in the athletic shoe tutorials. I used Curvefrom2Views, conic curves, and Rebuild (for curves mostly, but surfaces a little –I realized afterward I should have been simplifying surfaces as well.) I used projection of curves to construction planes, InterpolateCurveonSurface, OffsetCurvesonSrf, MoveUVN, NetworkSurface (and some Sweep2Rails where I couldn’t get Network to do the job right). I also used DuplicateEdge to get surface curves back when I’d lost them.
Materials: For a large portion of the boot, I used a leather material that I changed the diffuse, roughness, and scaling on.  I originally wanted a material like suede, but Keyshot wasn’t feeling generous, and I eventually settled on classic leather. I used a cloth weave material for the large, rounded cutouts on the leg, and varied the roughness, size, and angles of the x and y threads to make it feel a little handmade and imperfect. For the heel of the boot and the prosthetic pole, I used a traditional ash wood material and fiddled with the diffuse to get something complementary to the other colors I had going on. For the sole, I used a tire rubber in a medium grey. For the stretchy lace material on the sides, I made my own texture in photoshop because I wanted something a little more handmade-feeling than the Keyshot materials could offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment