Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Will McKiernan Hammer

My goal for the hammer was to take something that is simply used for hard labor, usually not looked at as a ornamental piece, and turn it into such. I wanted it to look like something that would be in an executives office or something of a family heirloom.

I started out using rectangles for the handle and head, and filleted the edges down. For the handle, I used cylinders to carve out finger grips, using Array to space them evenly. Then I drew and projected a curve onto the side of the handle. Then I created a solid from the curve and used BooleanDifference to create a thumb slot. I filleted the edges of the grips and slot as well. I created a neck in a basic rectangle shape and used the same process as before to create decorative holes in the neck, and left them unfilleted because I believe it looked better aesthetically. However, I did fillet the sides of the neck. The head of the hammer was originally four rectangles. The first I made the face and it iswider and taller and I filleted the sides. I used another rectangle to connect it to the head. The fourth rectangle I projected a curve onto and then trimmed away the outside, leaving a curved head. On the back side I filleted only the middle edge to create and indent and the prying bars. On either side of the hammer, I drew a curve, projected it, and then created a solid to create a small indentation. Then I scaled down that same shape and placed it inside the indentation. All these shapes for the head were then Booleaned together.


I placed the head, indentation, neck, handle, and grip and thumb slots all on separate layers so I would have variety in my materials. I used a polished fine grain wood on the handle to make it seem ornate, as well as a dark brown leather on the grips. The neck is knurled steel which gives it a unique look, while the head is brushed steel. They are different but compliment each other well. The indentations I made a dark mahogany that matches the color of the leather and brings the whole thing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment