Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Will McKiernan Mouse

My mouse was inspired by the classic cars of the late 1930s, namely the Rolls Royce Phantom Roadster. The Phantom has an elegant feel, with its body sloping and sweeping and looking very fluid. However, it does it in a simple manner, without much flash or extra "pizazz" thrown in. I wanted this sleek elegance and beautiful simplicity to be represented in my mouse.


I started off by watching the tutorial to learn how create the basic shape of my mouse. Once the curves were in place, I used the control points to pull them into the angles I wanted to give the mouse its sleeker shape. After lofting the curves, I use Trim to cut away the bottom, but in such a way that mouse seems to almost be floating. Then I carved out a spherical hole for my trackball, and placed it low enough to keep it slick with the rest of the mouse. I wanted the trackball to be somewhere where it didn't interrupt the "flow" of my mouse and I think placing it towards the front in the middle achieved that. Then I drew curves and used the Pipe function to allow BooleanDifference to create my button shapes.



I placed the trackball, buttons, and bottom portion of the mouse all on the same layer because I wanted a consistent look between those three parts. The body of the mouse is a glittery, metallic red, similar to the old Phantom Roadsters, and makes it feel more like a vehicle. The button, ball, and bottom are all polished chrome, a material also found on fancy cars, and more namely, the Phantom.

No comments:

Post a Comment